modprobe.conf not loading

Doug Coats dcoats at heritagemail.org
Mon Dec 6 16:11:30 UTC 2004

I am having a problem with certain modules not loading at boot time and I
believe it has to do with modprobe.conf not being run or with the
information just being ignored.

The reason I think this is because if I load the modules manually the work
but when I reboot the system the settings are lost.  This happens with my
sound card (Auto detect finds it plays music and will work until reboot) and
my ivtv modules (they load from the command prompt but disappear with a
reboot). The only connection I can make between the two is that they are
loaded in modprobe.conf.

I have searched the internet and have not seen this same problem reported in
this way.  This has happened to me with FC1, FC2, and now FC3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am trying to develop a MythTV
system but obviously need these to load when I boot the machine.

Here is my modprobe.conf file:

alias eth0 8139too
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-card-0 index=0
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
alias usb-controller uhci-hcd

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
install ivtv /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ivtv; /sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb

I added the ivtv info the soundcard info must have been placed there during
"first boot."

Thanks for you suggestions.

Doug