Getting java to work?

Shane Presley shane.presley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 17:03:42 UTC 2004

Hello,

Fairly new to Fedora (and linux).  Running FC3.  Came with Mozzila,
but I also instaleld Firefox.  Browsers work fine.  No proxies
involved.

I wanted to be able to run Java, and it didn't seem to be installed.
So I downloaded Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition (J2SE) from
java.com.  Installed the rpm.  Seemed to work fine.

Now under preferences, I see Java, and there is one version of Java
Applet Runtime Settings and one version of Java Application Runtime
Settings. Both are enabled.

But in my browser, when I try to view any java applets
(http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp) I get a message
telling me I need a plugin (Sun Java J2SE50).  I have restarted my
browser, even the entire system once.  Still doesn't know I have java
installed?

Thanks
Shane