FC3: grub hangs in ide+scsi box

Chris Rouch crouch at pobox.com
Mon Dec 6 17:17:15 UTC 2004

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:13:22 -0500
Louis Garcia <louisg00 at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I installed a minimum fc3 on a PII box. It has an ide boot drive (hda)
> and two scsi HD (sda, sdb) in a raid config. The boot loader is in the
> MBR of hda. The install goes fine but when it comes to booting up it
> hangs right before the grub screen. If I take out the scsi card it
> boots fine (except it complains about missing raid discs). This is a
> Gateway G6 with an Adaptec aha-2940 UW. Any thought?

This has been a problem since at least rh7. Grub is getting confused
about which disk is which. I know of 2 solutions.

1) unplug your scsi disks; reinstall; add the disks again manually
afterwards.

2) Modify grub.conf and device.map. On my box (long since gone) I had to
change hd1,0 to hd0,0 in grub.conf and swap /dev/sda and /dev/hda in
device.map. I'd then run

# /sbin/grub --batch --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map<<EOF
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0,0)
quit
EOF

I did this from a kickstart postinstall script, but I think it should
work if you boot in rescue mode from a cd.

Regards,

Chris