Haldaemon and Vmware

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon Dec 6 19:38:50 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 02:31:30PM -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> Latest Mailman 2.1.5 has the ability to strip the markup from HTML posts
> and send them out as plain text.
>
> Lat time this suggestion was made, RH wasn't running the latest Mailman.
> MM 2.0.x does not have this capability.  It looks like they are running a
> 2.1.x MM now, so they could do this.

Matt - next time you may want to read the entire email, including the
parenthetical comments:

> > (We will ignore, for the moment, the huge cost to RedHat of the processing
> > load to strip out HTML from all their mailing lists. Note, all RH's
> > mailings lists are handled by the same software)

Yes, mailman does have that capability.  RH deliberately does not use it.

#1 - large amount of additional processing, which is mostly
wasted since very few HTML posts are made.

#2 - Badly formed HTML. Some MUA's create HTML which does not parse
cleanly and so cannot be reliable stripped out.

#3 - Unneeded complexity.  Current mailman system isn't broke. Why
muck with it? (Looking at it from their perspective)

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"