Which distro to switch an FC3 samba server to?

A. Rick Anderson arick at pobox.com
Mon Dec 6 20:51:48 UTC 2004

Qian Qiao wrote:

>FC3 supports samba. I've got it to work.
>
>The problem is that shadow-utils-4.0.3-40 does not support usernames
>with a '$' trailing. Once upgraded to 4.0.3-42, it should run nicely.
>
>Regards,
>
>-- Joe

IT would be really cool if this was just a problem with up2date.  When I
run it, it tells me that all my packages are uptodate, and then it
exits.  But my installed version of shadow-utils is
shadow-utils-4.0.3-37.  Unfortunately, since it exits before I can
select which package to upgrade, it won't let me explicitly upgrade
shadow-utils.

What led me to believe that my situation was status quo was comments I
found from the results of several searches via google, and various lists
that I've found.  I tried scanning the archives and didn't find anything
helpful, but a few references that led me to believe that RH had decided
to forego samba in order to support posix.  I posted the problems I was
having on this news group.  When I received no response, I assumed that
this was a known issue and folks were tired of talking about it.

I wasn't trying to post a bug report, cause I assumed it was working as
designed.

--
A. Rick Anderson