ATTN SELF-STYLED LIST POLICE (was RE: Mr. Day)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 7 07:06:24 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 00:50, John Summerfield wrote:
[...rant]
>Thank you Gene.
>
>I've never said more than "please post no HTML" and, when provoked
> then provided some reasons.
>
>I am offended at the rudeness of people such as Thomas. There are
> many factors that go to _my_ choice of email client, and its
> ability to render HTML and Javascript does not rank. I chose one to
> suit _my_ requirements.

Likewise John.

>I've been on RH lists off and on since Hurricane, and there are
> others I know have been around a long time too: Robert Day, Joe
> Klemmer, Jo Dow. Mike Harris used to be a regular too.

Hurricane?  How far back up the log is that?

I know Joanne Dow (The Wizardess) from her amiga activities (I was
once an amiga nut too, till my full blown A2000/68040/64megs box took
a dive) way back up the log 10 plus years, super cool lady, and a heck
of a coder in her own right.  Raises dragons on the side too. :-)

Now if we could get Thomas Richter to be a regular here, that would
also be a huge plus.  He dives into the executing object and finds
the most obscure bugs, and fixes them by return email.

>We help because we like to, and we keep it up because we're stupid.

I guess thats what keeps me lurking here, hoping I'll learn
something, and even occasionally answering a question if its a
familiar one everyone else is tired of playing yet another chorus of
the song.  BUT its usually me asking the questions, so we are glad
there is always someone willing to stick out a hand and help us up, my
hats off to all those that have "been there, and done that" and kept
records so
they can hopefully head us old farts and dummies off at the pass.

And I don't call that stupid.  In reality, its the payback we do for a
great learning experience. :)

>Always, the use of HTML has ranked amongst the less desirable things
> people do, that gets the most complaints: probably the silliest
> regular mistake is emailing to the list in order to be removed.

Yeah, that one bothers me too since most of these lists have removal
instructions appended by the mailing list server, and nobody reads
them, includeing me in times past. :(

>--
>
>Cheers
>John Summerfield
>tourist pics: http://environmental.disaster.cds.merseine.nu/

I looked at that link above, but it needs explanatory text/captions
to clarify what it is we are looking at, or at least I'd like them.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)