OT: HTML email (was: gnome desktop backround)

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 7 10:05:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, December 7, 2004 4:56 am, Jon Haugsand said:

>> HTML is not a universal WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get)
>> HTML and the 'equivalent' text of a MIME message may not be equal
>> HTML can Carry mixed character sets unnoticed by the sender
>>  - Why are any of these a concern?
>
> Because the message is read differently by different readers.

Yes, and my email reader may wrap text messages at different widths
than yours does.   What does it matter?

> Local search becomes problematic.  _My_ local search at least.  My
> email agent doesn't like html.

Surely this isn't an insurmountable problem?

>> HTML facilitates spammers
>> HTML facilitates spyware
>> HTML rich content hobbles off line interaction.
>>  - How?  I receive HTML email from family members, no problem.
>
> Why is this an an issue?

I really don't know. That's why I asked how these points can be valid,
having seen no evidence of them myself even though many family members
choose to use HTML email.

> It is not.  If html is banned in serious email, mailing lists and on
> the Usenet news, you could just filter out _all_ html and therefore
> illegal content without the risk.

Surely someone could still send you "illegal content" in a text message?
Proper filters can do the same job you're looking for with or without HTML
email messages.

Sean