Some root mail not coming through

John Swartzentruber jswartzen at despammed.com
Tue Dec 7 14:24:25 UTC 2004

On 12/5/2004 3:39 AM Ow Mun Heng wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 04:29, John Swartzentruber wrote:
>

>>I have an older server running RH9 that I use as a personal email server
>>and webserver. I also host a few small mailman lists. That server has
>>had some hardware problems, so I thought it would be a good idea to get
>>another computer, which I did. I installed FC2 on it, then upgraded it
>>to FC3. The plan is to switch back and forth during upgrades so that I
>>always have something available. During this time, the original server
>>is still my webserver and email server, but both computers are on my
>>internal network behind a router which does port forwarding.
>>
>>While both computers are up and running, I can get my daily log email
>>messages from each computer using IMAP by accessing each server directly
>>from my personal computer on my home network. On both computers, the
>>/etc/aliases file has most addresses directed to root, then at the
>>bottom directs root to "arthur" (on the old server) or "buster" (on the
>>new server). These are also the names of the servers.
>>
>>My master name server is handled by a server at my employer, which is
>>remote. Both servers are running "named" in slave mode (I think). As you
>>can tell, I'm mostly a newbie but know almost enough to be dangerous.
>>
>>Anyway, that is all background. The problem is that yesterday I removed
>>all port forwarding on my router, shut down arthur (the old server), and
>>switched my port forwarding to send SMTP, HTTP, and DNS to buster (the
>>new server). It looks like everything is working, but now, I no longer
>>get my log email messages from buster (the new server).
>>
>>Now this is the strange part: When I turn arthur back on, I receive my
>>missing log messages on buster. Clearly there is some sort of dependency
>>on arthur that is in buster, but I can't figure out what it is. I'm
>>guessing it is DNS related, but don't know enough to find it.
>>

>I'm guessing that arthur is the one which is relaying all the messages??
>
>Can you check if the mesage queue in buster is in the queue?
>
>sendmail -bp?

[root at buster tmp]# sendmail -bp
/var/spool/mqueue is empty
                Total requests: 0

>mailq -Ac?

[root at buster tmp]# mailq -Ac
/var/spool/clientmqueue is empty
                Total requests: 0

>>Even when my log messages don't show up, I can send messages to
>>"root at mydomain.org" and "buster at mydomain.org", and they show up just fine.
>>
>>I'm stumped. Can anyone give me some pointers or guesses? I hope I've
>>provided sufficient information.

FYI, I just tried sending mail from buster using the "mail" command. It
successfully send a message to "root", which was received. It seems to
only be the logwatch and cron messages that aren't coming through.