syslogd stops functioning after logrotate?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Dec 7 17:46:38 UTC 2004

Peter Smith wrote:
> I have a number of Fedora Core 3 servers, on all of which syslogd seems
> to _stop_ logging after a time.  I believe that it stops after a
> logrotate.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  If so, I will create a
> bug for it.
>
> Do a 'ls -la /var/log/messages' and look at the last date it was written
> to and also the file size.  If the file size is "0" then it is likely
> that syslogd is not functioning and you will have to do 'killall -HUP
> syslogd'.
>
> The only thing specific I can think of about my configurations is I
> typically turn compression on and alter rotate to be 999 in
> logrotate.conf .

/etc/logrotate.d/syslog specifies a postrotate action for:

/var/log/messages
/var/log/secure
/var/log/maillog
/var/log/spooler
/var/log/boot.log
/var/log/cron

of:

/bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true

Does yours have this?

Does /var/run/syslogd.pid have the right process ID for syslog?

Paul.