Re: Cosmetic shell changes between FC1 and FC3

Am Di, den 07.12.2004 schrieb Ed Wilts um 21:58:

> The bash author has this to say on his release notes for 3.0:
> "kk. The `\W' prompt expansion now abbreviates $HOME as `~', like `\w'."
> http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/bash/NEWS

Thanks Ed! I didn't know about this small change and did read the
changed bash man page too quickly. It holds the information.

Formerly:

              \w     the current working directory
              \W     the basename of the current working directory

Now:

              \w     the  current  working  directory, with $HOME
abbreviated with a tilde
              \W     the basename of  the current  working  directory,
with $HOME abbreviated with a tilde

> So, you may not like the new feature, but the author doesn't consider
> that a bug.  To get the full pathname into the prompt, try something
> like (according to the bash faq page):
> PS1='$PWD$ '    # full pathname of current directory

Change in line 37 of /etc/bashrc from

PS1="[\u \h \W]\\$ "

to be

PS1="[\u \h \$PWD]\\$ "

Or set it in user's .bashrc file.

> Ed Wilts, RHCE

Thanks for the hint to the changelog!

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 22:04:23 up 1 day, 21:26, load average: 1.59, 1.22, 1.13