MP3 to OGG converters

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:10:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:04:31 -0500, Mark Haney <markh at uptimecomputer.net> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me of a good MP3 to OGG converter for linux?  Is one included with FC3?

This is not normally something you want to do.  MP3 and OGG/Vorbis are
both lossy encoding mechanisms, but they both "lose" different parts
of the audio stream, resulting in degraded sound quality.

Nonetheless, if you really want to do it, you probably already have
all the tools you need: an MP3 decoder (mpg321) and an Ogg/Vorbis
encoder (oggenc).

oggenc comes with FC3, mpg321 you can get from a 3rd party repo.

The command line goes something like:

mpg321 -s $file | oggenc -q$qual -r - --output=$oggfile

where $file is the mp3 file, $qual is the quality you want to use, and
$oggfile is the name of the file you want to generate.

Of course, this is simplified, and will lose the tag info.  You
probably want to read the tags from the MP3 and encode them into the
Ogg.  There are switches for all that.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves