disk usage monitor figures don't add up?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Dec 9 08:42:35 UTC 2004

Greetings;

I need a bit of help from the ext3 filesystem folks I think.   I'm
haveing a comprehension problem here.  A snip from a df report:

/dev/hdd3      176100712   165509176   26340  100.3% /amandatapes

>From the above, there is about 10GB on the missing list!  Amanda just
bailed out early because the disk was full, while the 2 figures on
the left claimed there should have been somewhere between 10GB and
11GB of space left, not the 26 megs shown above.

The output of a du . on that partition, before I ran the amflush, was
165509176 bytes total used out of 176100712 that df claimed it has
for a total, both in 1024 byte kilobytes.

So my question is: Where is the math broken?  Both du and df, or my
head?

Surely there cannot be 10+GB tied up in inodes and journals?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)