Advise on connecting a Plextor PX-712A ????

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Thu Dec 9 15:46:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 07:31 -0500, Patrick wrote:
> Can someone please tell me what I forgot or missed here?
> What is the best way to connect these components... should
> the burner be alone on a ide channel or can it combined??

Have you tried booting with the "ide=nodma" kernel option?

If I boot my machine with DMA enabled I can't read past precisely
201906176 bytes on media in either of my DVD drives.  (Incidentally,
this seems to be the point where the drive switches to high speed.)  I
can write DVD/CD media without any error.  When I disable DMA the media
that I had previously written checks out fine.

In my case it does not occur if I use the ide-scsi driver with the
device.  (Although ide-scsi has some other strange side effects such as
not ejecting media.)  Also, I can enable DMA once the system is up and
running without any ill effects.  I added a "hdparm -d1 /dev/hdX" line
for each IDE device to /etc/rc.local (where X is a-h).  I can only guess
that something occurs during init that scrambles either my IDE
controller or DVD drives if DMA is enabled.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/