ATTN SELF-STYLED LIST POLICE (was RE: Mr. Day)

A. Rick Anderson arick at pobox.com
Thu Dec 9 16:56:08 UTC 2004

John Summerfield wrote:

>On Wednesday 08 December 2004 19:10, A. Rick Anderson wrote:
>

>>In other words 1%.  For the
>>sake of debate, let's assume that every response from a Red Hat employee
>>is worth 10 times that of every other responder on the list.
>>

>How do you tustify that unscientific assumption? Stats please!

I can't.  I was conceding the point simply to move beyond that argument
as a meaningful point of discussion.  If you don't concede the point,
then the argument that all email should be reduced to the text only mode
simply to support the 3/5 Red Hat employees who utilize Mutt or text
only email clients as their reader becomes even more absurd.  Without
that previous assumption, the number of responses from Red Hat employees
who use Mutt becomes statistically insignificant ... and there is no
rational support for the previous demand that every newbie, who has the
audacity to use an HTML browser, needs to be severely chastised for
wasting precious bandwidth.

79 messages out of over 6,000 a month.  Do the math and draw your own
conclusions about how the level of contribution that the folks with
text-only browsers from Red Hat are making and how much effort everyone
else should expend in order to facilitate the vital responses and
assistance that they are providing.

The point of the concession was simply to point out that either those 79
messages were absolutely vital, and nobody else could have provide the
*quality* of response that they did, or to the raise the question of why
there was any concern for tiny segment of the mailing list who
contributed barely of the traffic 1% of the traffic.

Not trying to say who was right or wrong.  Just doing the math.

--
A. Rick Anderson