FC2 GUI on Intel Celeron 500MHz very slow

Kshitij Velhal kvelhal at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:32:36 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have a m/c with following config
Intel Celeron 500MHz
450 MB RAM
ATI 3D Rage Pro 1x/2x AGP
Microtek 17" Monitor

I am running FC2 as downloaded from Fedora site. No kernel updates done yet.

The system runs fine except the performance in GUI mode is very very poor.
In command line mode and through remote SSH logins performance is
relatively much better.

I have installed both GNOME and KDE. KDE is the defualt environment
and I generaly login as root.

It takes long time to launch applications including the Terminal
Program. It really sucks while launching firefox or mozilla and even
more to launch openoffice and other apps like Java IDE's (eclipse,
Netbeans), GNUCash, GNumeric, etc

The memory usage is always around 400MB. And I don't think there are
may services running in background.

ON same machine I have Windows 2000 (dual boot) and it works pretty
well. For normal operations memory usage is around just 100-150MB.

Can anybody help me to improve the performance. Of course I don't want
it to be like a brand new P4 box but at least it should be comparable
with what I get with Windows.

Any tips tweaks to fine tune FC2 ?

Thanks
-Kshitij