FC2 GUI on Intel Celeron 500MHz very slow

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Dec 9 21:52:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:32:36PM -0800, Kshitij Velhal wrote:
> I have a m/c with following config
> Intel Celeron 500MHz
> 450 MB RAM
> ATI 3D Rage Pro 1x/2x AGP
> Microtek 17" Monitor
>
> I am running FC2 as downloaded from Fedora site. No kernel updates done yet.

Step 1 - upgrade everything.  There have been many performance
improvements made in the last year.

> The system runs fine except the performance in GUI mode is very very poor.
> In command line mode and through remote SSH logins performance is
> relatively much better.
>
> I have installed both GNOME and KDE. KDE is the defualt environment
> and I generaly login as root.

Step 2 - don't log in as root.  This is not Windows and you will
eventually shoot yourself in the foot.

Step 3 - performance is "very very poor" is not a descriptive problem.
What *exactly* is slow?  Is the disk thrashing trying to launch
applications?  Wich applications?  Is the cpu going to 100% for an
extended period of time?  Do applications launch slowly but then run
normally?

> The memory usage is always around 400MB. And I don't think there are
> may services running in background.

Most people unfortunately read this wrong and telling us you're at 400MB
unfortunately doesn't mean much since we don't know if you're reading it
right.  Buffers and cached memory should be treated as "free" memory.

> ON same machine I have Windows 2000 (dual boot) and it works pretty
> well. For normal operations memory usage is around just 100-150MB.

That could simply be because Windows reports it differently.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org