RIVA128 and color settings

I have a RIVA128 on a dual boot system running FC2 and WinXP. On the fedora side I am unable to set the colors above 256, but the XP driver runs at the highest setting with no problem. I've gotten used to the other limitations of the RIVA card in Fedora, but it seems like I should be able to set the color depth at a higher level for a more attractive display. I've tried adjusting the settings via both system-config-display and manually going into the xorg.conf file, but if I bump up the setting x fails to start. Any suggestions of how to fix the problem, or any suggestions of an inexpensive replacement that would provide 3D support w/o dealing with the nvidia driver disaster?

Thanks,
Mark
begin:vcard
fn:Mark Bradford
n:Bradford;Mark
adr;dom:;;4007 Watters Lane;Gibsonia;PA;15044
email;internet:bra9ford connecttime net
tel;home:724-449-2741
tel;cell:724-272-4547
version:2.1