FC3 haldaemon freeze or lock of kernel in runlevel 3

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Sat Dec 11 00:53:35 UTC 2004

Just a note...I upgraded a server from FC1 to FC3 and found it appeared
to lock up whilst launching named.

then I found I could at least boot into runlevels 1 and 2 for debugging,
and named was actually starting/stopping just fine.

finally by examining the daemon sets between runlevel 2 and runlevel 3,
and starting the daemons in sequence, i found the culprit...anytime i
try to start the haldaemon (/usr/sbin/hald) the machine locks hard with
no cmdline, dmesg or syslog errors.

for now i have used chkconfig to disable this daemon in all runlevels.

---
John