cd not read

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Dec 11 02:17:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 09:13:30PM -0500, sly wrote:
> i have a cd wrote w/ win98 i can read it on fc2 but not on fc3!
>
> # mount /dev/cdrom
> mount: block device /dev/hda is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> any idea?

Yes. is y our CDROM drive REALLY hda? I'd guess not. hda is the first
master drive on the first IDE chain, usually it's your bootable hard
drive.

Once you figure out where it actually is, change the link (/dev/cdrom)
to point to where it really is. E.g., if it's on hdc, do this (as root):

	cd /dev
	rm cdrom
	ln -s hdc cdrom

and if it is properly defined in /etc/fstab, you can mount it like this:

	mount /mnt/cdrom

rather than trying to mount /dev/cdrom as you show above.

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.