Email syncing question....

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Dec 11 04:10:20 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 21:46 -0600, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> I only use one e-mail adress, and because I am subscribed to this list,
> I cannot leave the messages on the server because my storage space fills
> up in a matter of days. I would like to be able to access the same
> e-mail account from my laptop and my desktop and have the inbox and
> other folders kept in synch with one another. I have tried this before
> with my two desktop systems and I ended up having lost e-mails because
> they ended up on one system and not the other.
>
> How do I setup either a shared mailbox on my desktop that forwards
> e-mail to my laptop, or maybe an rsync cron job to match the mail
> folders on both systems. Right now I am using Mozilla Thunderbird, but I
> have evolution and kmail installed also.
----
use fetchmail to retrieve the email from your 'ISP' to your desktop
computer. Use it in daemon mode (I have mine run every 2 minutes).

you would have to set up an imap server (dovecot ?) on your desktop
machine and then point both systems to use the imap server on your
desktop.

You can change email clients at will - if you use imap, whichever mail
client you use will see if an email has been read, marked for deletion,
moved to other 'subscribed folders'. It's beautiful

Craig