Samba client in Fedora Core 3 is slow

Timothy Ha linuxmail at yandex.ru
Sat Dec 11 20:37:21 UTC 2004

I have a no-domain network with some Mac OS X stations, some PC and I am
using FC3 to access the shares. In a fresh installation of FC3, I see
that browsing the shares through Computer / Network /Windows network
/... or in Nautilus directly though smb:///... is very slow. I thought
it might be IPv6 or DNS problem, so I switched IPv6 off, with no progress.

FTP access to the same Mac OS X machine's shares give big speed, as
required. But Samba is too slow... Even giving a list of files is a slow
process. All shares use login/password. Is there any problem with
encrypted or not encrypted passwords?

Timothy.