gnome does not refresh desktop

Hello, I have just switched my wife's computer to gnome - on core3- so that she can easily use the automounting camera and usb features. Occasionally, she will drag and drop a file or folder onto the desktop, but it won't appear on the desktop until she logs out and back in... Is gnome known to be like this? We have only used KDE for years and are not too familiar with gnome.

Any help to remedy this are welcomed. Thanks, Jim