Up2date icon freezing

antonio montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Mon Dec 13 14:22:47 UTC 2004

Randy ha scritto / wrote  il / on 13/12/2004 15:13:

> Up2date in gnome freezes for me very often.  I've seen it with slow
> up2date sites, and also when I select more than about five updates.
> Sometimes it works with more than five, but usually it doesn't.  I
> usually end up killing it and then selecting less updates the next
> time around, which usually works.  The good news is that stuff that
> was already downloaded doesn't need to be re-downloaded.  :-)  On the
> rare occasion when I've selected ten updates, usually two restarts
> will help it finish. (For me, it always locks up between downloads)
> Line speed isn't the problem.  I have 512k DSL.
>
> At 03:36 AM 12/13/2004, you wrote:
>
>> antonio montagnani ha scritto / wrote  il / on 10/12/2004 09:15:
>>
>>> Suddenly the up2date blue/red icon stop working on one of my PC'..
>>> It keeps staying blue stating "searching for Updates on RHN" but no
>>> other action for hours.
>>> At same time if I start the RedHat Network from my main menu,
>>> everything is fine (I can download updates).
>>> The icon is so frozen that all options on the related menu with
>>> mouse right click are shadowed apart from Exit.
>>>
>>> Any suggestion
>>
>> disinstaleld up2date, up2date-gnome, firstboot, rhn-applet, then
>> re-installed but no improvement.
>> The up2date works fine, but the applet still freezing: no idea how to
>> unlock it...
>>

>> --

Randy, It is not my problem, as the Update from the menu works fine even
with 20 huge updates (this morning I downloaded latest updates), but the
small applet on the application bar on the far right is still searching
for updates...
It was working in FC2 and for a week in FC3: no problem in another
similar machine.
I suppose that Up2date and the gnome updte applet are usings same setup.
Where is the locking stuff??

--
 Antonio
 Working with Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 on Linux Fedora Core 3