[FC3] WHEEEE! Hey, yall- try this!

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Tue Dec 14 00:16:33 UTC 2004

    I did that fresh install of FC3. So I'm looking at the gigs of
wasted space, 'cause it was a full install.  I get tired of looking at
all the "K" packages I'm never gonna use, so I take the time to remove
things I won't be using:

yum remove qt

    Watching carefully to what it's gonna remove, I confirm it, and
eventually the grinding stops and I reboot.

    All the sudden I'm transported back to the days when SCO was a
viable company with something to offer!  It's 1989 again and Peg Bundy's
starting to set the world afire with her episode where she introduces
the fax machine to American audiences.  My daughter, last seen driving
her car, has a diaper to change.

    The screen's filled with chiffon-green very-square boxes called
windows that musta come from 'Queer Eye for the Linux Guy' and every
window has an outline and waits for me to place it.

    Ya see, if you remove KDE, and expect gnome to still be there and
operate, you're living in a fool's paradise.  It will require installing
gnome-session, gnome-volume-manager and gnome-media EVEN THOUGH IT NEVER
REMOVED THEM.

    I reinstalled the packages, rebooted, and my daughter's driving
again. Whew; managed to dodge another diaper.

    :>