Streaming Media - two questions

Zeb Palmer zebthepilot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 09:35:51 UTC 2004

I'm in the process of converting all of my servers over to Linux.
ditching windose.

First part of the question. I can get some windows media files to play
via mplayer however I am trying to play the following file
http://www.zebthepilot.com/atc/boise_atc.asx    this playlist points to
the windows media stream from atc.zebthepilot.com:80 neither of which I
can get to work on my fedora 3 box.

A; I either find a way to play streaming windows media on linux
B: I convince the owner of the feed to convert.

at this point I think B is a better option, considering I'm the owner of
the feed.    My media server is one of a few servers here with windows
still on it. I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions or input on my
options for running this thing off of a fedora box. In a perfect world
the encoder/server output would be usable by other linux computers,
windows media, real player and whatever it is those mac folks are
running these days. Also it needs to be on port 80 to get through the
firewalls at my work.

in a really perfect world it'd be able to rotate advertisement banners.
but not needed.

currently my windows streaming media server has been up 24/7 since
august. reliability is a major issue as this is an unmonitored server

thoughts?

zeb