JPackage (was Re: how should i play mp3 files?)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Dec 14 11:27:10 UTC 2004

On 12/14/2004 02:15:47 AM, Tammar K. Ajam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Read This,
> http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_3_installation_notes.html

Looking through your tips - there's a better way to do Java.
For a long time I did a similar process - since RH 6.2 days.

I would unpack java in /opt/blackdown
make a /etc/profile.d script that set the JAVA_HOME and the path
made the symlink

But just a few weeks ago, I found a much better way - it's called
JPackage

JPackage is a Java ecosystem, and from what I have read since I started
reading up on it, Red Hat/Fedora have some level of commitment to the
JPackage project - and looking at their mailing list archives, there
are a lot of familiar names from Fedora Devel on the JPackage lists.

I wrote a small tip on it myself just a few days ago -

http://mpeters.us/linux/j2sdk.php

as a revision (well, complete rewrite) to a tip I had that looked much
like yours. JPackage really is the superior way to do Java on Fedora.

Browser plugin - just works
yum install jedit - just works
yum install jboss - just works
yum install jftp - just works (once you have the non-free dep
installed)
yum install tomcat5 - just works - (once you have the non free
dependency installed)

--
Cheap Linux CD's
http://mpeters.us/linux/