catalog files on hdd in order to find later on backups

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Thu Dec 16 01:53:14 UTC 2004

Hi Jaun - you've got things a little out of order here, I'll put it back
for you.
(try to put your question or response "below" what you are referring to
keep the dialog in proper sequence. Thats the general custom on this
list, and any Linux/UNIX related list, OK? - thanks)

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:12:06AM +0800, Juan Shen wrote:

> Jeff Kinz wrote:
> >ls -lagsR $CATDIRS > ${CATALOGSDIR}/`date +%m.%d.`
> >
> >where CATDIRS is an environment variable containing the paths to the
> >directories that will be backed up. (It could be just "/")
> >and CATALOGSDIR is an environment variable containing the path to the
> >directory were the catalogs will be held
> >
> Claud and a little question:  if -l option is used, -s option seems to
> be useless.
> The -s option is just the same as -l, except that -s does not display
> the file owners.
>     Juan Shen

Its "muscle memory" circa 1982.

My fingers learned the ls command on an AT&T SYS V version of UNIX where
the -s command meant to display the size in blocks.  I was also corrupted
by SUN's Berkley based version of UNIX at almost the same time.  The
options for "ls" between the two are not compatible, but that situation
is nowhere near as bad as the situation for "ps" is now.

But the Linux docs do not show "-s" as suppressing the file owners.
<QUOTE man ls (on FC3) >
       -s, --size
              print size of each file, in blocks
</QUOTE>

Are you sure its supposed to suppress owner?

It is slightly redundant with -l, since -l gives size in bytes, just
truncate last 3 decimal places for a rough equivalent.

(Did anybody notice that "slocate" needs to be replaced in the
WEB-App bash shell script that works with the original command above? )

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"