Re: Trying to compile my own kernel - getting kernel panic...

On 12/16/2004 08:32:59 PM, Andrew Konosky wrote:

I seem to already have mkinitrd installed, but it wasn't registering with su. I did su - and then it worked, so I guess I just forgot the - the first time.

su does not set the PATH to root's path, so anything in /sbin or /usr/ sbin or /usr/local/sbin will not be in your path and thus need to be called explicitly full path.

su -

resets the PATH to (in this case) root's path, as well as changing your cwd to root's home.