switching to root from desktop

Hi all

maybe there is a simple to way to solve this nuisance but I didn't find it, maybe you could suggest me one:

when I'm for example browsing through the filesystem as a non-root user and I open a text file wich I want to edit, change and save, how can I "su" to root in order to do it in the same graphical desktop enviroment?
I mean: what is the equivalent to the su command for the desktop?

thanks to all and try to have a very nice day, sometimes it only depends on us.!