USB key

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Dec 17 14:14:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 07:46:39AM -0600, Basil Copeland wrote:
> Wouldn't it get mounted as "sdX1" where "X" is the next letter after
> those used by your other scsi devices?  Try doing "df" to see what
> devices are already bounted as "sdX" and make "X" the next free
> letter.

You are correct that it will show up as /dev/sdX1, where X is
dependent on what other SCSI devices are on the system.

Rather than guessing, look at /var/log/messages; the USB code will
tell you which device it assigns to the key.

Some USB keys are flakey, and support for them seems to come and
go. As root, run "lsusb" to see if the kernel even picked it up. You
may have to install lsusb first. Also check
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/ to see what luck other folks have had
with your key.

Basil, please do not top post (write your reply above that to which
you are replying). It will make it harder for folks to read the
message, and subsequent messages, on the list or in the archive. Thank
you.

> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:09:17 +0100, Francois Massonneau <frmas at free.fr> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I've just got an USB key (250 mbytes), and I would like to know how to make it
> > to be visible from my linux box. I run FC2. On my laptop, I've just to type :
> > mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/key
> > but on my home computer, (it's a full scsi equiped system), I can't make it to
> > recognize it.
> > I would like to just plug the key, then have konqueror to be opened,
> > automagically.
> > Thank you for your advices, help. Francois

Francois, once you have identified on which device file your USB key
is showing up, you may need to edit /etc/fstab to get the kernel
to mount it automatically. There may also be something you'll need to
do for Konqueror.

There are some articles on http://fedoranews.org/ that you may find
useful.