LILO config problems

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Dec 17 14:37:50 UTC 2004

Amit Patel wrote:
> I just installed Fedora core 3 on my computer but I can't boot Fedora.
>
> I have 2 physica hard drives with 2 operating systems, om the first
> hard drive I have windows  2000 and on the second one I have windows
> XP. I installed Fedora on the 2nd harddrive, and the root partition is
> not within the first 1024 sectors--as XP is using that.
>
> All the installation process was successful, except that when I
> rebooted the computer, it does not show Fedora option in the OS load,
> all I can see is win 2000 and win XP.

You either need to install LILO in the MBR of first drive, or have yuor
BIOS boot off the second drive (if it supports it, and of course
provided LILO is installed there).  The easiest way is to boot into
rescue mode, let Anaconda mount partitions for you, when you get shell
prompt do "chroot /mnt/sysimage", and than go to /etc (remember, you are
chrooted), and edit boot line in lilo.conf to point to /dev/hda.

Of course, provided that you want LILO install itself into MBR.