[FC3] No mp3 activity at any cost

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Fri Dec 17 15:33:14 UTC 2004

    A fresh install from CDROMs, a full install.  I'm quite aware mp3s
aren't supported by default, and I know why.  Alternatives exist- kinda.

    Some Google hits report that I should find "gstreamer-plugins-mp3"
and some say I need "gstreamer-plugins-audio". Neither that I can find,
and install with a download and an rpm install work.

    I've looked into adding Livna; seems shaky.  I added FreshRPMs, DAG,
and even the Gstreamer site.  I've tried removing all packages with
"gstream" in the name (--nodeps) and installing _only_ from the base
+Dag, or base+Freshrpms, and base+gstreamer sites, and no headway is
ever made.

    Yes, I run gst-register (thanks, Google) in between each flush-and-
fill of the gstreamer install.

    Ideas left:  can someone send me a package-list of a working
gstreamer+mp3 situation so I can tell how far wrong I am?

    Maybe someone else has been here, and the answer's simple?

    Thanks- I appreciate anything you can do.
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller