flac/mp3 tagging Latin characters

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Dec 17 18:25:45 UTC 2004

Latin Songs that I've ripped in Windows have their special characters
display fine in Linux.

But when I rip/encode in Linux, that's not so.

I ripped the CD's cli using cdparanoia.
I then manually changed the track name from the generic cdparanoia
names to the song names, but not with any of the special characters (IE
- ¿Dónde Están Los Ladrones? was in the file named
Donde_Estan_Los_Ladrones.wav

I then ran a simple shell script I wrote called wav2flac-metadata to
generate a file called tracks.txt based upon the file names. Then I
edited the tracks.txt file to put in the special characters.

I then ran a shell script I call wav2flac to flac encode the wav files
and tag them according to what was in the tracks.txt file.

metaflac --list filename.flac looks correct. IE

    comment[0]: TRACKNUMBER=11
    comment[1]: TITLE=Ojos Así
    comment[2]: ARTIST=Shakira
    comment[3]: ALBUM=¿Dónde Están Los Ladrones?
    comment[4]: DATE=1998
    comment[5]: GENRE=Latin

Then I run a shell script to transcode from flac to mp3 using lame.

id3v2 -l filename.mp3 looks correct

IE

Title  : Ojos Así                       Artist: Shakira
Album  : ¿Dónde Están Los Ladrones?   Year: 1998, Genre: Latin (86)

But in the mp3 players, the special characters are all messed up - I
don't understand it because Latin music ripped in Windows displays
special characters just fine.

my LANG is set to en_US.UTF-8
What am I missing?

If it helps, I've attached the three scripts

--
Cheap Linux CD's
http://mpeters.us/linux/