Proposal for Kernel Source distribution

joekrahn no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Fri Dec 17 23:31:10 UTC 2004

I agree withe intent of avoiding redundancy by not distributing kernel-source as a seperate package. But, kernel source is often needed, and there are several step to get it installed.

I propose putting a Makefile in /usr/src that has targets like 'kernel_source' to get and install current kernel sources, 'kernel_build' to make the kernel, and eventually some more complex functions, like updating the new kernel .config based on diffing the previous default and user-modified configs.

I have started a Makefile like this for my own use. It gets a bit tricky due to having to use multiple sets of kernel version and release groupings, plus SMP, etc.

Alternatively, maybe a perl-based 'kernel' command would be better at this than make.

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org