redhat-switch-printer and LPRng

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 05:37:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:44:19 +0000, Donald Ray Lott <raylott at xsmail.com> wrote:
> I have a non-cups printer - Lexmark z23/z33 that was working find until
> I, in a stupid moment, clicked the CUPS radio button in redhat-switch-
> printer. There is no other choice but CUPS.
>
> Now I get:
>
> lpr: error - unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable
>
> when I try and print.
>
> Does anyone know how to undo my mistake?
>
> --
> Donald Ray Lott <raylott at xsmail.com>

Is there some reason you do not want a CUPS printer?  You should still
be able to run lpr and family with a CUPS printer.  Is the CUPS daemon
running?  Can you browse http://localhost:631/ ?  Is 127.0.0.1 aliased
to localhost in /etc/hosts?   I think there was someone with a similar
problem and the cause was localhost was aliased to their network IP
and iptables was blocking access to port 631.  If you really want to
undo this, then I'm not sure how.  You can always remove then add, I
suppose.

Jonathan