Bad Sector , recovery, fsck

Hi

I have just encountered a disk I/O  problem with a bad sector which is preventing xfs from starting. I have booted from a Fedora Core 2 recovery disk and run fsck on the device. Everything showed up clean. I have run fsck again, this time with the -f flag. When trying to reboot from the hard-drive halfway through the boot process, the filesystem sometimes gets mounted as read only.

After the file system checks, I get
1.2% non-contiguous.

After the failed attempt to start xfs there are errors like this
dma_int status=0x51 CHS=35694/0/213, Sector 913784

I have also seen Bus error s.scale.

I don't know an awful lot about drives and file systems. What kind of tools could I use to try and recover from these errors.Or is this likely to be a case of get a new hard drive?

Hope someone can help

Jon