DHCP configuration

Brian Richardson brian at cubik.ca
Sat Dec 18 22:00:41 UTC 2004

Claude Jones wrote:

>I am still very new to Linux. I am trying to configure a machine
>to act as my firewall on my broadband connection, which is
>working, and to serve as DHCP server to my LAN. I've been looking
>for two hours for simple explanations, but, most of what I'm
>finding is very old, and contradictory. Can someone point me to a
>resource? Also, I seem to see references to a graphical DHCP
>administrative tool for KDE but I can't find this - is this
>installed with FC3, or is it something that I have to add?

I agree; most of the documentation for dhcpd is pretty esoteric. I'm
guessing you just need a dhcpd.conf file that looks like this:

option ddns-update-style none;
option domain-name "mydomain.org";

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.199;
  option routers 192.168.1.1;
  option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2;
}

Mind you, this is just off the top of my head. See dhcpd.conf(5) to
figure out how to correct my syntax errors ;)

Brian

--
Brian Richardson
Software Developer