FC3 network issues

JonVO jonvo at comcast.net
Sat Dec 18 23:01:14 UTC 2004

Alex White wrote:

> JonVO wrote:
>
>> Loaded Fedora Core 3 on an AMD64, ASUS K8N, installation went pretty
>> well, found the sound card and the network card (NVIDIA chipset), BUT...
>> WAN is REALLY slow, such that I cannot update either thru command
>> line or using a browser, it works but is bog slow. Tried external
>> 3COM card, also installed without problems, but it too is very slow.
>> Wait for 20 sec to connect, then downloads are 1-2KB if at all.
>

> You mentioned attempting to update, but you did not mention if this
> network slowness is true in -all- cases of downloading anything at all
> from the net. How about if you ftp some stuff from anywhere. How about
> downloading the kernel source from kernel.org, is that still slow?
>
> HTH

HTH,
Yes, I've attempted command line ftp and http  updates as well. REAL
slow to the point of unusable. Tests of data transfer within my LAN
indicate the problem is WAN traffic. The FC3 box sees the windos boxes
and i can transfer data at what seems a normal rate. Browsing is
painfully slow. Just don't know what else to check.
JonVO
JonVO