help with cvs server

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Sun Dec 19 02:34:31 UTC 2004

Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Friday 17 December 2004 22:14, Skunk Worx wrote:
>

>>1) Is it okay to export CVSROOT over NFS? I sometimes (every
>>several weeks) see the mount fail and the logs on the server say
>>something about "rpc.mountd() : fhxxx() failed" (can't remember
>>the exact message) and then I restart NFS and all is well again
>>for several weeks.
>

> If you plug "nfs" into the search engine at the CVS email list
> archives you'll see the resounding answer is no.  Do not use CVS in
> conjunction with NFS shares.  One of the main devleopers sent this
> to the CVS list:
>
> ---------------
> The correct question is this:
>
> "Is it ever acceptable that a 'cvs commit' may corrupt the
> repository without any notification of any problems whatsoever
> until much time has passed and there is a need to checkout an old
> version of the repository that is found to be corrupted due to
> earlier NFS usage?"
>
> If the answer is:
>
> "We do not care about old versions or if they might happen to be
> corrupt.", then by all means feel free to use NFS to do the
> checkouts.
>
> If the answer is:
>
> "Correctness is more important than speed." then just say no to
> using the NFS approach.
>  ------------------
>
> Regards, Mike Klinke

thanks for your replies. i have been google searching for howto's etc.
today and i see now that NFS is considered risky for sharing
repositories, although a few sites seem to think it's okay with modern
NFS releases.

this is disappointing because the outgoing repo admin (actually another
programmer) assured me he had researched the issue and NFS was
considered more reliable than other methods on a lan (!)...yet we see
these bizarre problems every several weeks.

so i guess i will switch over to a more accepted access protocol and
move on.