Roaming Profiles

Phil Brooks redhat at mailforyou.co.uk
Sun Dec 19 17:57:05 UTC 2004

> Ok there are actually 8 wonders of the world!
>
> The eighth wonder has got to be Roaming Profiles on XP using SAMBA, at
> least they would be wonderful if I could get them working!
>
> A couple of questions, the default configuration for the SMB.CONF seems to
> be that profiles are stored in a seperate location to the Users personal
> home directory eg. (\HOME\PROFILES\USER, but this leaves some rather
> strange security issues, surely it is better to put the Profile of the
> user in the Users home Directory e.g. (/HOME/USER/PROFILE) ?

Ok Thanks i'll try that, what about the second bit? . The problem is I
want to setup up roaming profiles so that which ever XP Pro machine I go
to the desktop email etc. is the same.  I thought that if I create 1 user
eg. USER1 on the UNIX/LINUX box all the Profile should be loaded from the
Profile directory on the server e.g. (Desktop Icons, Outlook setting
etc.?) This does not seem to be the case.  At present when I enter the
Username and Password into the Windows Client, windows seems to create a
Temporay profile on the local machine and create a Deafult profile on the
linux machine within the profile directory.  Do I need to add the User to
local machine using "Users and Groups" in control pannel or should windows
just pick up the profile from the server?

> The other question I have is how the bloody hell do you setup up client XP
> Pro / Windows 2K machine? At the moment I leave it up to Windows to
> automatically create default sets of information within the Users Profile
> Directory e.g (user.dat My Documents, etc.).   Do I need to use some type
> of Windows Profile creator to add the User credentials into the profile
> directory on the server, at the moment windows just seems to create a
> directory locally, in Documents & Settings called "\temp.USER.DOMAIN".
>
> Please could someone shed some light and turn my mysery into a wonder ;)
>
> Regards
>
> Phil
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Phil
>

> --
> This message was scanned for spam and viruses by BitDefender
> For more information please visit http://www.bcs.uk.net
>

> --

Regards,

Phil