Low internet speed

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Dec 19 19:09:57 UTC 2004

Am So, den 19.12.2004 schrieb JonVO um 18:43:

> Thanks for the link. I used the settings recommended, turned off ipv6,
> restarted network, actually restarted the computer, (probably
> unnecessary as I updated services as I changed them), no luck!
> I suspect the Nvidia ethernet driver "forcedeth.c" is the problem.
> Looking for updates and workarounds. However, it is odd that adding and
> activating another ethernet card (3COM) doesn't change the symptoms. The
> ASUS K8N MB hs an on-board ethernet which one cannot remove. Perhaps I
> need either a new driver or this MB simply doesn't run FC3 (all correctly).
> JonVO

If even changing to a different ethernet device does not improve things,
there must be something else causing the trouble. To be sure you didn't
broke the loopback resolving, what's the content of your /etc/hosts
file?

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost

It _must_ contain this line.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 20:07:41 up 9 days, 14:48, load average: 1.15, 0.85, 0.64