FC3: Gnome desktop seems to have disappeared

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 19 19:56:09 UTC 2004

Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
> I have such like that before and I fixed. It just use the root acount
> and delete the files begin with "." excepted the .profile and the
> system would copy back to default.

Sorry, Ringo, but your English isn't particularly clear there. And one
interpretation of that advice is dangerous.

No-one should delete anything unless they are sure they know what it is
or that they don't need it. If you need to make sure that your system
won't look at a file, rename it or move it.

A number of programs will keep information in hidden files (those
beginning with dots), and you *will* lose data like bookmarks, account
settings, and potentially e-mail.

Note, too, that "." and ".." have special meanings in Unix (and
Unix-like systems like Fedora).

James.

--
E-mail address: james | ... in our completely unscientific usability study,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | it took our subjects less than 10 seconds to locate