X64 Synaptic Apt Up2Date

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 19 21:24:19 UTC 2004

Jonathan Berry wrote:
> First of all, it's the x86_64 version, x64 is what Microsoft is
> calling their 64-bit Windows :).

Believe it or not, they have (something of) a point. They do,
occasionally.

Linus once wrote:
> > Other than the fact Linux has a cool name, could someone explain why I
> > should use Linux over BSD?
>
> No.  That's it.  The cool name, that is.  We worked very hard on
> creating a name that would appeal to the majority of people, and it
> certainly paid off: thousands of people are using linux just to be
> able
> to say "OS/2? Hah.  I've got Linux.  What a cool name".  386BSD made
> the
> mistake of putting a lot of numbers and weird abbreviations into the
> name, and is scaring away a lot of people just because it sounds too
> technical.

In my opinion, "x86-64" is *way* too much of a mouthful, and the worst
thing about the architecture.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "What kind of music do you get here, ma'am?"
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | "Why, we get both kinds of music, Country and