Re: CD burning problem

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 20:27 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am So, den 19.12.2004 schrieb Jim Dishaw (dishawjp) um 20:15:
>
> > [root eunix etc]# tail -f /var/log/messages
> > Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: drive not ready for command
> > Dec 19 14:04:41 localhost kernel: hdb: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }

<snip>

> > Dec 19 14:10:01 localhost crond(pam_unix)[3421]: session closed for user root
> > [/code]
>
> > Jim
>
> I would say you have a hardware problem with the CD burner.
> Do you have the devices hda and hdb correctly set as master and slave?
> Maybe it helps to switch current hdb over to be the master device on the
> ATAPI controller.
> If above does not help, check for a firmware update (though it typically
> only updates media calibration data).
>
> Alexander

Jim,
Alexanders suggestion has merit.

Also note that many times in my experience, if you are using a cable
select cable you _must_ use cable select as the jumper setting for
reliability.

Using drives that are jumpered as master and slave on a cable select
cable will work most times, but may often have intermittent and hard to
trace errors that go away when jumpered to cable select.

Jeff