Labels for automatically mounted media on desktop

Have a problem with the name of the mount that appears on the
desktop... my Ipod, connected via Firewire, has a "corrupted" label
name.... is there anyway of changing this name?   I would have assumed
that the label name would be the same as the volume name that is
present on the iPod but it isn't the case, as it is for the
CompactFlash card for my digital camera which shows as "EOS_DIGITAL".

So far googling this, all I can conclude is that I'm not able to
change this somehow in Nautilus.

Mike