Anaconda Crashes during install

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Dec 21 10:25:48 UTC 2004

I've had a strange problem whilst trying to upgrade our webserver from
FC2 -> FC3.  The install proceeds as far as "Searching for previous
Fedora installations" and then just hangs, until it finally crashes out
and forces a reboot.

Looking at the logs it seems that anaconda somehow ends up consuming all
the memory on the system (2Gb) and is killed.  This happens a couple of
minutes after the message "Moving to find rootparts" in the anacodna
log.  Before that there are only some seemingly harmless warnings about
using a deprecated SCSI ioctl.

I've tried using both graphical and text mode installs with no
difference.  I've done a full fsck on the partitions which all passed
OK.  The system is back running FC2 with no ill effects and no signs of
any problems, and now I'm stumped as to what to do next.  The really
strange thing is that our database server, on pretty much identical
hardware (Dell PowerEdge 2650) upgraded without any problems yesterday.

The only clue I've managed to turn up as to what may be causing this, is
that during the fsck the system tried to scan for lvm volumes using
vgscan and this caused a segmentation fault (which is reproducible once
the system is running).  There are no lvm volumes on this machine, but
there are on our database server - so maybe this is something?

I tried to remove lvm2, but there are too many dependencies so I
reinstalled it, but it still segfaults.

Can anyone suggest how I can proceed with this??

Cheers

Simon.