slapd configuration problem

Hi,
I am experiencing a problem trying to configure a ldap server for
users authentication.
Basically, I am at a point where users can login properly, but they
can not change their password. Some info for troubleshooting:

Server is FC1 (openldap-servers-2.1.22-8) client is FC3. the
transaction goes like this:

[giallu chemotest ~]$ su - test
Password:
-bash-3.00$ passwd
Changing password for user test.
Enter login(LDAP) password:
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
LDAP password information update failed: Can't contact LDAP server

passwd: Permission denied

and in the client log I have:
passwd[29686]: pam_ldap: ldap_modify_s Insufficient access

I tried to google for the error msg, and it seems to be a access
control problem.
The examples provided in those pages won't help in my case though...

my actual slapd.conf access section:
access to * by * read

access to attr=userPassword
        by anonymous auth