VI highlighting 'echo'

VJ vj at vijaygill.homelinux.net
Tue Dec 21 11:02:54 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Maciek R." <m.mail at vp.pl>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 10:56 AM
Subject: VI highlighting 'echo'

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have no idea how I activated this ... but while writing some easy
> shell scripts the VI editor highlights the word 'echo' so the background
> is orange. How can I remove this option? I already used man vi and
> the :help command in VI but found nothing.
>
> By the way, do you know how I can edit words in my spell checker
> database of 'Evolution Mail'? Or is 'EM' taking some other databases
> which I can edit (from 'OpenOffice' for example)?
>
> --
> Maciek R. <m.mail at vp.pl>
>
> --

That is bcos u must have search for the word echo or pressed # accidently
while cursor was on the word echo. vi remembers searches across sessions. So
all you have to do is try to find for some non existing phrase like
dsgasdgasdgsadgsdag and your problem will go away.
Step 1.    Open any text file.
Step 2.    type the following without the quotes
'/sdgsdgdsgsadgasdgasdgasdg'.

You will see vi reporting that it could not find the phrase and at the same
time echo will start appearing normal.
Regards from
VJ