setting FC3 "POSIX message queues" ulimit parameter?

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Tue Dec 21 15:53:43 UTC 2004

If all else fails, this command "ulimit -q unlimited" can be put in /etc/rc.local
which will execute it every boot as root.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

>>> toby at caboteria.org 12/21/04 10:51AM >>>
Hi Folks,

I'm working to upgrade from FC2 to FC3 and have run across an issue
involving POSIX message queues that I'm hoping someone has some info
on.  In FC3 there's a new parameter when you run "ulimit -a":

POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200

I need to set this to "unlimited" to run my application but am having
trouble figuring out how to do it persistently.  I can run "ulimit -q
unlimited" as root and that does the trick, but I can't find a
configuration file that does the same thing.  I'd expect to be able to
use PAM's /etc/security/limits.conf (or maybe /etc/sysctl) but I can't
seem to find the right value to use in either file.  For that matter,
I don't even see such a parameter to the setrlimit() man page so I'm
at a loss.

If anyone's holding the ulimit cluestick I'd appreciate a gentle tap.

Thanks,
Toby