FC3: Gnome desktop seems to have disappeared

Bertrand forumemail2 at softhome.net
Tue Dec 21 17:38:33 UTC 2004

> When this happens, go to a commandline and run top.  I would like to
> know if you have the following services/daemons running.
>
> gnome-session
> gnome-settings-daemon
> mapping-daemon
> pam-panel-icon
>

> I'm curious to see if you have all of these running.  I looked at what
> processes I'm running, and these are all here and might have something
> to do with your problem.  All of these should be run as your user, in my
> case, achoens, NOT as root.  So, you only need to look at your
> processes.
>
> --andy

The problem is back again. But I have more info:

0. When it happens, it happens only to one user called "bg". Root has no
problem & another user called frida is also working fine. For the user
bg, when the problem occurs, gnome-session, gnome-settings-daemon & pam-
panel-icon are running as bg. BUT mapping-daemon is NOT running.

1. You have to know that this problem is occuring on a headless pc
(let's call it "pc1"). I connect to it with VNC from a notebook. Both
run FC3 & are updated with latest packages.

2. On pc1 I have 2 users created: bg & frida

3. On pc1, if i launch it with /etc/sysconfig/vncservers containing
VNCSERVERS="2:bg" or VNCSERVERS="2:bg 3:root"  then the problem occurs.
If i do the same with /etc/sysconfig/vncservers containing
VNCSERVERS="2:bg 3:frida" then I don't have the problem anymore !

I have to say, I am lost. Any idea ?

Bertrand

NB: on pc1 ~/.vnc/xstartup for root,bg & frida users are all the same:

#!/bin/sh
# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
gnome &